Fire Prevention

Electrical Inspections

Take the time to do a home electrical inspection. Some questions you can ask yourself are:

  • Are there enough outlets so that multiple attachments are not used to overload the outlet?
  • Are extension cords the same size or larger that the appliance they are used with?
  • Are frayed cords and broken plugs replaced?
  • If a fuse blows, do you always look for the cause and replace it with the correct size?

If you have problems, contact a qualified electrician to do the repairs and prevent electrical fires.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

A U.L. approved Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector should be placed in every home. Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer because it is colorless and odorless. Without a working CO alarm you probably will not notice CO poisoning. CO poisoning effects your judgment and coordination. The symptoms are very much like that of the common flu. This is why it is important to place a CO detector in your home. Possible sources of Carbon Monoxide include:

  • Automobile exhaust from cars in attached garages
  • Back drafting from furnaces
  • Gas stoves
  • Leaking chimneys and furnaces
  • Malfunctioning gas water heaters
  • Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters
  • Wood stoves and fireplaces

Heating Equipment

The Wayzata Fire Department recommends that you have your heating equipment checked and cleaned every year. This simple step will help to maintain a safe furnace and prevent Carbon Monoxide from gathering in the home.

If you burn wood in a fireplace or a stove, remember to clean your chimney regularly. Creosote buildup can cause a chimney fire. Chimney fires can be very dangerous and the smoke often backs up in the home causing extensive smoke damage. These problems can easily be prevented by regular chimney inspections and cleaning.

Fighting Fires

Never fight a fire if:

  • The fire is spreading beyond the spot where it started
  • You can't fight the fire with your back to an exit for escape (The fire can block your only escape)

You don't have adequate fire-fighting equipment in either of these situations, don't fight the fire by yourself. Call for help from the fire department quickly.