Renew Your Passport

Renewing By Mail

Renew by Mail if All of the Following are True: Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

  • Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in the exact same name as your previous passport or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person by scheduling an appointment at Wayzata City Hall.

Steps for Renewal

From Inside the United States:


  • If your most recent U.S. passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail - you must apply in person.
  • We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method.
  • Please do not submit any prepaid return mailing envelopes or mailing stamps. Newly issued Passport Books are delivered via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for overnight delivery return service at time of application. Overnight delivery service is not available for passport cards, which are delivered via First Class Mail only.
  • In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, it is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8 inches by 9 1/2 inches) envelope.
  • Passports renewed by mail in the United States may only be mailed to United States and Canadian addresses.
  • If you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport (See Child Support).

Renewing From Outside the United States

  • U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
  • U.S. citizens residing in Canada may submit Form DS-82: Application for U.S. Passport by Mail to the address listed on the form.

Renewing a Minor's Passport (Under Age 16)

Minors must apply in person and cannot renew by mail. For more information visit the Parents' Corner.