Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau conducts a census to count or survey those living in the United States and the five U.S. territories. The results of the census help determine congressional representation and federal funding.
The next census will be April 1, 2020.
Why is the census important to Wayzata?
The census is critical to better understanding and representing our community. The data collected:
- Determines our representation (number of members) in the U.S. and Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Allows for additional funding for road improvements if the population increases to greater than 5,000 residents.
- Guides federal funding to communities for schools, roads, and emergency services.
- Assists businesses in deciding where to locate or build their facilities, recruiting employees and conducting market research.
- Click to learn more about how Census data are used.
Everyone counts! The City of Wayzata is determined to reach everyone and ensure a complete count that accurately represents our community.
Learn more about the census by watching the following video.
- Why does the Census Bureau ask the questions they do?
- What if I am away from my residence on April 1, 2020?
- What are the residency rules for Census Day 2020?
- When will the results from the census be available?
- Are my answers safe and secure?
- How does the U.S. Census Bureau help me identify fraudulent activity and scams?
The City of Wayzata formed a committee of trusted local representatives that want to help inform our residents about the 2020 Census and promote participation. The committee meets regularly to coordinate their efforts.
If you have questions about the committee, contact Kathy Leervig, City Clerk, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-404-5303.
Work for the U.S. Census Bureau
The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring for a variety of positions to help with the 2020 Census. To be eligible, you must be 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number and be a U.S. citizen. The pay rate for a census taker position in Hennepin County is $20 per hour.
To learn more or apply only, visit the 2020 Census jobs webpage.
Census Bureau Address Canvassing
The U.S. Census Bureau has begun a process called “address canvassing" to validate, add, correct and delete addresses in their database in preparation for mailing 2020 Census information.
Census Bureau employees are not required to have City solicitor permits but should have official Census ID cards with employee names, pictures and expiration dates. Each Census employee should also have a black canvas bag and a laptop with a Census Bureau logo on the top.